The Benefits of Cycling
Cycling is a great exercise that people of all ages can enjoy. It’s great fun and good for the environment!
Cycling for just a couple of hours per week can have such a positive impact on your health, both physically and mentally. Cycling is low impact, causing less strain and injuries compared to other forms of exercise. Not to mention, it’s a great muscle workout as you’re using all the major muscle groups when you cycle. Unlike a lot of sports, cycling doesn’t particularly require high levels of physical skill, once you know how to ride a bike, you never really forget.
Some more benefits of cycling:
- Fun way to get fit – it doesn’t have to feel like exercise, go out for the day with family or friends and make a day of it
- Make it as intense as you like – you don’t always have to go hell for leather, take it at a steady pace if this is more suited to you
- Time-efficient – cycling as a mode of transport tends to be quicker as you don’t have to sit in traffic or stick to main roads
- Better for strength & stamina – cycling increases your stamina, strength and aerobic fitness
- Reduces stress levels
- Improves mobility of joints
- Decreased body fat levels
- Prevention or management of disease
- Increased cardiovascular fitness
- Cycling on a regular basis can help protect you from serious health problems such as strokes, some cancers, depression, arthritis, diabetes and more.
- You can easily incorporate cycling in to your everyday life by cycling to the shops, work, park or to a friend’s house.
- Riding can be enjoyed by people of all ages so you can get your children and grandchildren involved too!